Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Shopping Our Stash #216 - Splish Splash

Helllllllooooooo crafty friends!! A most happy Tuesday to you! Thanks for stopping by today to check out the newest SHOPPING OUR STASH challenge!!

This week the SOS crew are going all Splish Splash and would like to see some sort of wet medium on your project - watercolor, acrylic paint, distress inks...your choice!!

I made two cards for the challenge...the one I made first came out like some sort of hot mess disaster so I set it aside, now a few days later...it's growing on me and I like the colours in it.

I started with the hexagon stencil over the watercolour paper, smeared my distress inks on my craft mat and then painted the stencil with my Tim Holtz water brush. 

Originally the plan was to have the hexagons on the left and the umbrella man on the right. Then I decided to try another stencil (the sunburst one) and lastly heat embossed the umbrella man and the sentiment.

I have ZERO patience, so the stenciled parts **probably** weren't dry when I heat embossed and it didn't come out as crisp as I would like...ahh well...shite happens. I still like the colours LOL



Shite I used to make this card:

  • White cardstock (Fireworx)
  • Watercolour paper (Michaels)
  • Distress inks - Weathered Wood, Dusty Concord, Mowed Lawn, Crushed Olive, Frayed Burlap, Broken China, Aged Mahogany (Tim Holtz)
  • Water brush (Tim Holtz)
  • Sunburst stencil (Tim Holtz)
  • Hexagon stencil
  • Versamark
  • Black embossing powder (Recollections)
  • Purely Random stamp set (Stampers Anonymous / Tim Holtz)
  • Life's Possibilities stamp set (Stampers Anonymous / Tim Holtz)

So, still thinking the first card was a disastrous hot mess, I made another card. This time I made it a bit easier on myself, smeared the distress inks on the craft mat again, spritzed them with water and used a foam brush to paint the watercolour paper.




Shite I used to make this card:
  • White cardstock (Fireworx)
  • Distress inks - Picked Raspberry, Weathered Wood, Dusty Concord
  • Watercolour paper (Michaels)
  • Versamark
  • Black embossing powder (Recollections)
  • Sponge brush (Michaels)
  • Sentiment Sampler stamp set (Paper Smooches)
  • Medallion stamp (SU)
Be sure to visit the SHOPPING OUR STASH BLOG for all the details on the challenge and while you are there, show the rest of the crew some crafty lovin! We'd love for you to play along with us! You have until Monday August 31 to link up your project on the SOS BLOG.

6 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

You got black embossing powder to work? Good for you. I gave it up years ago and now only use black pigment ink with clear EP.

I actually like both cards. And kudos for using two stencils on one card. :)

Chris Dring said...

I. LOVE. THESE. CARDS! Seriously, that first one, using TWO stencils? Amazing! The second one is so soft and pretty! Love them!

lauren bergold said...

oooooooh i'm glad you posted the first one, too... i LOVE IT!!! watercolors thru a stencil NEVER come out totally crisp-- i usually have a few rivulets that run down & blend actually. &YES, the hardest part about wet media is waiting for it to dry all the way!!! :) (so now we know why art journalers are always working in like 3 books, simultaneously, lol!) having said all of that i think you did BRILLIANTLY in every sense of that word!!! ♥♥♥ (ps of course i love the 2nd card too, it is full-on lovely; but the grand essperiments are always my first ove!) ♥

Barbara Godden said...

Awesome cards, I love them both, Between you and Jessi you got me on the right track for my card.

Lindsey said...

I'm with Leslie... black ep is generally evil. I really like this first card! It's fun and colourful and artsy. The second one is straight up beautiful.

Carol L said...

Both cards are great! The silhouette image is holding an umbrella, so naturally the colors would bleed in the rain! I think it's genius!